Hello. We like to collect well-designed vintage pottery (and lots of other stuff) from the 1950s,
'60s and '70s. Here are some pictures and info of a selection of the things we've found.

Thursday 21 April 2011

A colourful diversion via the 1960s



























































Whilst scouring the car boot sales in search of interesting pots for the Potshot collection, I sometimes get a little distracted. I know I should be focusing on my quest for pearls of pottery perfection but occasionally I can't help taking the odd diversion.

Here's one example. I couldn't resist this set of brilliant table place mats. The colours are superb and the stylised flower-power decoration is so funky.  The mats feel as if they're printed on tin and they are cork-backed. I don't know who made them but they are marked Made in England. I imagine they are probably 1960s or early 1970s.

OK, they're not pots but you must agree that for great design, great graphics and great colours we're allowed the odd diversion.

4 comments:

  1. Swoon! I love these. I have a similar one with a fish illustration on it. I thought it was a trivet, but I could be wrong. So, not a pot, but something to put hot pots on ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Janne. I'll bet the fish trivet looks good. I wonder who the artist was? You've given me an idea for a regular feature on the blog - The Potshots not a pot shot shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are Worcester Ware table mats! Such a fun pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the information Christina. I've just done a quick search and it looks like Worcester Ware probably made Janne's fish table mat too.

    ReplyDelete