Hello. We like to collect well-designed vintage pottery (and lots of other stuff) from the 1950s,
'60s and '70s. Here are some pictures and info of a selection of the things we've found.

Sunday 10 April 2011

Hornsea Pocket Wall Vase 1955. Shades of Barbara Hepworth.















One of my personal favourites.

This wonderfully shaped pot is by Hornsea Pottery. It was made in 1955 and is described by Hornsea simply as a pocket wall vase. I'm not sure exactly how it was supposed to hang on a wall, its base seems to be designed to stand flat on a surface.

The beauty of this vase, in my opinion, lies in its elegant and sculptural form. The pierced circular holes and asymmetrical shape are so reminiscent of the work of British sculptor Barbara Hepworth.

Even though the vase may have been originally designed to hold a spray of flowers, to me, the object is a pleasure displayed just as it is.

I suspect this vase is quite a rare one. During the time that I've been collecting Hornsea pottery, I've only ever seen one or two examples.

Barbara Hepworth

More on Barbara Hepworth












Barbara Hepworth photo:
Erling Mandelmann / photo©ErlingMandelmann.ch



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the new posts. I love this vase - I've not seen any others like it. I does seem impractical as a vase, but I think your right in that it makes a perfect little Barbara Hepworth Sculpture. Can you tell me how tall its is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rob, That's good of you to say so. I know you must spend much of your time looking at pots with lots of colour and surface decoration so it's interesting that this little non-coloured one caught your eye. The vase is about 8 inches (20cm) high.

    ReplyDelete