Hello. We like to collect well-designed vintage pottery (and lots of other stuff) from the 1950s,
'60s and '70s. Here are some pictures and info of a selection of the things we've found.

Saturday 30 April 2011

Portmeirion Tivoli Storage jars 1964








It was a sunny day so I took these colourful pots outside into the sunshine to photograph them. I think this printed pattern is fabulous – it's so typical of the design style and the graphics of the the 1960s.

These storage jars are part of a larger range of tableware designed by Susan Williams-Ellis for Portmeirion Pottery, Stoke-on-Trent. They were produced in 1964. The pattern name is Tivoli, apparently inspired by a visit to the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. Up to now, I've only seen these two colour schemes. One scheme is in chocolate brown and turquoise, and one is in olive green and turquoise.

As far as I've been able to discover, this range was only in production for a few years, it wasn't as successful as had been hoped. I can't think why. If it was available in the shops today, I'd buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment