Hello. We like to collect well-designed vintage pottery (and lots of other stuff) from the 1950s,
'60s and '70s. Here are some pictures and info of a selection of the things we've found.

Friday 27 May 2011

Hornsea Pottery Mushroom cruets. A spot of 1950s magic.





























 I saw this blog-post on Downtime: Mushrooms on Downtime 

All those wonderful mushrooms reminded me of these spotty mushroom salt and pepper sets.

Made by Hornsea Pottery in 1955 or 1956, they have white stalks, the caps are in gentle pastel colours and they have a raised white slip dot decoration. There's a hole in the bottom with a rubber stopper for filling the cruets.

Mushroom shapes seem to crop up quite regularly in 1950s kitchenalia design styles (as do cacti, apples, cheese plants, etc.). I like these mushroom cruets because they're useful, they look great, and they're good fun.

1 comment:

  1. These are so sweet, I nearly bought the blue pair recently but as I'm struggling for space in my cupboards I talked myself out of it. But now I've seen yours beautifully photographed, maybe I should've taken the plunge!

    ReplyDelete