Hello. We like to collect well-designed vintage pottery (and lots of other stuff) from the 1950s,
'60s and '70s. Here are some pictures and info of a selection of the things we've found.

Thursday 19 January 2012

Sometimes it's OK to judge a book by its cover
































It's true to say that I do spend a lot of time searching round second-hand shops and car boot sales in search of tasty items of pottery or glass for the Potshots collection. There are, of course, many days when I return empty handed. Sometimes, something outside my particular area of interest catches my eye. The other day I spotted these two books and couldn't resist them. I'm ashamed to admit that I will probably never read them. I picked up the books simply out of admiration of their front cover designs.

These are Pelican paperback books and both editions are from the early 1960s. The graphic design is nicely thought-out and uncluttered, the colours are bold and simple, and the typography is clean and well-ordered. And I like them.

Unfortunately I can't find a credit in the books for the designers/illustrators. I wonder If it's the work of the same person?

A quick search on Google revealed there are many more excellent Pelican book cover designs from the same era, and if you think these two book covers look impressive, just wait 'til you see these at Things Magazine: Pelican book covers

No comments:

Post a Comment